Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha Sends A Chilling Message To Parents

Education Cabinet Secretary Prof. George Magoha says parents will fully bear the expenses of rebuilding classes and dormitories burnt down by their children.

 

According to Prof. Magoha, the school fires that have seen several institutions closed down appears to be driven by a syndicate benefitting from the tragedies.

 

The school fires led to injuries among a number of students forcing the Ministry of Education to allow a half term break for all learners in the country between November 19-23 where initially there had been none.

 

The burden of ensuring that students resume school to an environment considered perfect for learning, away from such burnt skeletons, now remains solely on the parents.

 

“All those schools that have been burned, their parents shall build them, fullstop. The government will not pay a penny,” said the CS.

 

Prof. Magoha also asked that parents utilise the half term break to engage with their children.

 

“I continue to slightly castigate parents who still treat children as eggs, this has been part of the problem. There is an improvement, but the child must be allowed to be ready to survive on his or her own in an environment like this,” added the CS.

 

While several students have been arrested with a few others charged following the burning of school property, the ministry is issuing a warning to those planning to commit similar offences.

 

“If we catch you, first of all, that information will be part of your record for the rest of your life…and the law does not allow you, even if you’re 10 years, to go and buy petrol to burn public property…if you want to go burn your fathers building,” stated Prof. Magoha.

 

Meanwhile, 6 students from St John’s Girls High School Sirende in Trans Nzoia County were arraigned in Kitale and charged with intent to commit a felony; they denied the charges.

 

“The subjects will be escorted to Kitale district hospital for age assessment and the report availed to court. In the meantime, you will be remanded at Kitale Police Station in a cell separate from adults,” ruled Magistrate Mary Achieng.

 

The case will be mentioned on the 9th of this month.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button