Some of us have lost their certificates through either fires or physical loss. Sometimes this has become a stumbling block for some of us when it comes to job applications and interviews as you are required to present original documents during interviews. This has denied us jobs in many occasions and we don’t really know how to handle this situation.
In the past The Kenya National Examinations Council has been replacing certificates for those who happen to have lost theirs, but of late the Council does not replace certificates but they administer a certification letter which serves as an original and authentic certificate. The process in the past has always been a bit hectic as one was required to visit the KNEC offices to do the replacement.
As it stands now, those who have lost their certificates can apply for a certification letter online through the KNEC website once you have the required documents. The documents that you require before application are;
1. Copy of the certificate(s) or slip
2. Letter from center where you sat for the Exam.
3. Sworn legal affidavit from an advocate or court.
4. Birth certificate
5. Police abstract on the loss of the certificate
6. Letter from Registrar of persons
7. Passport photo size
8. National ID
If you have all the above documents, you can scan them and send them through the KNEC website and await for verification. Before making payment for replacement, the KNEC team will scrutinize your documents to ascertain that the documents are authentic and the names are matching with those in the ID and other documents.
Once the verification exercise is done, you will receive an SMS from KNEC asking you to make payments so that the replacement process can kick off.
You are required to make payments through the bank or via simple Mobile Banking, M-pesa. The paybill through which you make payment is 250544. For a confirmation from KNEC, will be required to make payment of Ksh. 2320 and for certification you are required to pay Ksh. 5220 per certificate.
Procedure of Applications
1. Visit the KNEC website http://www.knec.ac.ke
2. Click on QMIS
3. Click on Register at the bottom of the page. Enter the required details as below.
4. After Filling all the fields click on Register
5. You will be directed to a login button, click and enter your details and click login.
6. Click on confirmation if you want to apply for a confirmation or lost certificate if you are applying for a certification letter.
7.Enter the index number then select the type of exam, exam series and year and then click search. Your details will display
8. At the bottom of the page, click on the drop-down arrow and upload all the necessary documents, once you finish, click on submit button.
9. To check the status of your application, you will login and click on status to check the progress of your application.
KNEC will notify you via a text message or email once verification is done so that you can pay the fee for processing to take place.
The normal time this application has been taking is initially has always been 60 working days, but with the introduction of the Query Management Information System, the processing period is only 15 working days. Once the certificate has been processed, you will be required to pick it in person.