Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) Thika Campus is adjacent to Thika Level 5 Hospital within Thika Sub County in Kiambu County. The Campus was started in 1969 with 30 students undertaking a certificate course in Enrolled Community Nursing with the support from the Norwegian Government.
The Campus was built to train community health nurses at the enrolled level, giving training a comprehensive theoretical and practical training in general nursing, midwifery and public health. The graduates were to serve in Kenya’s rural health facilities established after independence.
The first group of students were admitted in June 1969 and officially opened by the first President of the republic of Kenya H.E Mzee Jomo Kenyatta on 16th November 1969.
It was run by personnel from Norway between 1966-1973 who included a Director and three tutors. Three Kenyan Nurses (clinical instructors) were appointed together with the Norwegian personnel. The first class had 35 students but subsequent intakes increased to between 40-50 students yearly. Up to 1980, only female students were admitted and were accommodated in the former Director’s house that was modified for the purpose. In 1990, the Nursing Council introduced a competent based curriculum and the intake was reduced to 35 students a year, with the course taking two and a half years to complete.
In 1998 another programme, Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing (an Upgrading Course) was started. In March, 2005 the Campus begun a Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing course in clinical Medicine. In March 2014 Nutrition and Dietetics programme was started at certificate level and in September 2016 upgrading students were enrolled.
Since 2017 it has embarked on aggressive expansion programme to a multi faculty training Campus.
Programmes and Courses currently offered: –
- Certificate in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Certificate in Orthopedic Plaster Technology
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine & Surgery
- Diploma in Community Health Nursing
- Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Diploma in Orthopedics.
- Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics (Upgrading)
- Higher Diploma in Anaesthesia
- Higher Diploma Critical Care Nursing
Short Courses currently offered: –
- Infection Prevention & Control
- HIV Training & Counseling Services
- Nutrition in Critical Care for Health Profession Integrated Approach
The Campus plans to introduce new programmes by September 2019 which include:
- Higher Diploma in Geriatric Nursing.
- Higher Diploma in Family Medicine.
- Higher Diploma in Clinical Medicine Reproductive Health.
Short courses to be introduced:
- Infection prevention and control
- Nutrition in critical care
- HIV testing and counselling
- Fully-equipped Skills Laboratory – where students undertake their practice using mannequins and simulated patients to master their skills before they are exposed to real patients in clinical sites.
- Administration offices are fully equipped with latest technologies for teaching and learning.
- Computer laboratory – with fully equipped modern Computers and internet connectivity.
- Well-stocked library with latest books.
- Hostels with constant water and electricity supply within the compound.
- Dining Hall which offers cafeteria services with quality meals at affordable prices and is operational even during weekends.
- Transport – there is a bus that transports students and staff for practical’s and other official duties.
Currently the students’ population is 840.
Clinical Experience Sites
The students use Thika Level 5 Referral Hospital which is less than 20 metres from the Campus and Rural Health facilities within and outside the Kiambu County for their clinical experience.
Clubs, societies and societies
Sporting activities are available and our students participate from Zonal to National levels of KMTC sports competitions. The Campus has won several awards in ball games and athletics.
Societies in the Campus include the following:
- Christian union (C.U)
- Young Christians Society (YCS)
- Environmental Club
- Student Representative Council
Campus contact information: –
KMTC Thika Campus
P.O. Box 729-0100
Email: [email protected]