1) Mathematics will no longer be a mandatory requirement for university admission for students pursuing a diploma or degree in education. This means that in the next KUCCP placement, the D+ requirement in mathematics rule shall not apply
2) Those who will not teach Mathematics in secondary schools will not be locked out of education training courses for not passing the subject in high school.
3) Those who will teach nursery schools will not be required to have passed mathematics to gain admission to diploma and degree teaching courses.
4) KUCCPS is under advisory to use guidelines presented by Teachers Service Commission (TSC) on academic and professional requirements.
5) Admissions to Diploma in Primary Teacher Education (DPTE) and Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE), the requirements is still KCSE mean grade C (plain) with a C (plain) in English, Kiswahili, Mathematics and any of the humanities and sciences subjects.
TSC Academic and Professional Requirements for Registration of Teachers
Pursuant to Article 237 (2) of the Kenya Constitution 2010, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has a Constitutional mandate to among other functions, register qualified teachers and review the quality of education and training of persons entering the teaching service.
Further, section 23 (2) of the Teachers Service Commission Act, 2012 provides that; “A person shall not engage in the teaching service unless such person is registered as a teacher under the Act”.
This requirement applies to both public and private learning institutions.
It is, therefore, notified for public information that requirements for registration as a teacher are provided for in Legal Notice No. 50 of 2016 (The Teachers Service Commission Code of Regulations for Teachers (Amendments), 2016).
Below are TSC official academic and Professional requirements for registering teachers.
Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements for Registration of Teachers
i. Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
ii. Minimum mean grade D+(Plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
iii. Minimum mean grade D (Plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
i. Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
ii. Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above for University Diploma.
iii. Degree Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above
i. Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above
ii. PTE Certificate from KNEC
iii. Mean grade of C- (minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons
Diploma in Education
i. Minimum grade C+( Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects specialization.
ii. At least C (Plain) in English
iii. C (plain) in Mathematics for Science-based courses
iv. D+ (plus) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
i. Minimum grade C (Plain) in KCSE and above.
ii. At least C (Minus) in English
iii. C- (Minus) in Mathematics for Science based courses
iv. D (Plain) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
Bachelor of Education
i. Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or its equivalent
ii. C+ (Plus) in two subjects of specialization
Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science
i. Minimum grade C+ (Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects of specialization
ii. Post graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)